ZOOM OPTION: An Encounter with Evil – A Wisdom School with Cynthia Bourgeault
April 16 - April 21
This Wisdom School marks the third time Cynthia has offered this timely and compelling topic. As the content continues to evolve, the main teachings continue to draw from a wide variety of sources both spiritual and psychological, with the emphasis first and foremost on the practical: learning to recognize and shield oneself better from the toxic effects of prolonged exposure to evil, “speaking truth to power” in a way that wields real clout, and as necessary, to draw more intentionally and skillfully on assistance from realms beyond our own.
- Place: Valle Crucis, North Carolina
- Dates: Sunday evening, April 16, 2023 – lunch Friday, April 21, 2023
- Topic: An Encounter with Evil with Cynthia Bourgeault. Movements facilitated by Heather Ruce. Chanting led by Paulette Meier and Cynthia.
- Tuition for Virtual Participation via Zoom: $310.
- Waiting List: The School is now full for in-person attendance. If you would like to be placed on the waiting list to attend in person, there is a place on the registration form where you can indicate your interest in being onsite.
- Note: Only double occupancy or commuter options would be available. We will be in touch if a space becomes available.
- Link to online registration form: https://forms.gle/
- Questions? Contact Robbin Brent (host): email@example.com
We will be exploring:
- the metaphysics of evil — with an emphasis on the process and relational nature of its arising
- the psychology of evil — taking a look at the psychology of evil and its potential spawning ground
- the roots of collective psychosis
- the dangerous blind spot in the Christian strategy of “love conquers all”
- considerations of personal responsibility
- the remediating force of conscience and the costliness of engaging it
There will be an invitation to a wisdom way of approaching this material through a daily rhythm with periods of silence, centering prayer, teaching, conscious conversation, Gurdjieff Exercises and Movements, chanting, mindful work, and contemplative free time.
Note: Once you complete the form and click “submit” you will receive a confirmation email with payment information. I will also send information and, if you are interested, a link to a weekly Zoom group with Heather Ruce that offers an opportunity to more deeply engage with the reading materials and other related resources, to reflect with others who share an interest in this topic, and to engage in practices that will support your presence and participation in the School.
Cynthia Bourgeault is a modern day mystic, Episcopal priest, writer, and internationally acclaimed retreat leader. She divides her time between solitude in her seaside hermitage in Maine and a demanding schedule traveling globally to spread the recovery of the Christian contemplative and Wisdom paths. She is principal teacher for The Contemplative Society and the founding director of an international network of Wisdom schools, uniting classic Christian mystical and monastic teaching with contemporary practices of mindfulness and embodied presence.
Heather Ruce will be supporting our wisdom school experience through guiding us in daily Gurdjieff Movements. She is a wisdom spiritual director with training in a neurophysiology based approach to understanding the nervous system. She loves working with individuals as well as facilitating groups and retreats focused on learning and practicing the Christian Wisdom Tradition.